Iâ€™ve survived the first few days in Mwanza and am feeling well rested! Yesterday was my first full day in Africa and we spent it mostly with the street boys.
Those faces warm my heart.
And break it.
Every. Single. Time.
The Kornegays (and my new friend, Jon) are around a few more days so the focus will be on the land and the work needed to be done on the first house (and well). Of course, weâ€™ll spend some more time with the street boys, too!
Here are a few highlights:
– Being greeted at the airport by the Meany/Kornegay clan was delightful after 2 full days of traveling, but the smiling face I was most happy to see was Vincentâ€™s â€“ our driver! He is my most favorite African of all
– Iâ€™ve already had approximately 37 sodas. Or 7. But in only 3 days, 7 is a lot of soda for this girl. If you knew how tasty it is here, youâ€™d understand. Donâ€™t judge. Iâ€™m just getting started
– The internet here boasts a remarkable 3.75g speed. If nothing else, Africans are precise
– Mwanza has added a zoo! And by â€œzooâ€ I mean a small (even smaller than youâ€™re thinking) area enclosed by wood posts and plastic with the following animals: lion, cheetah, leopard, hyena, & turtle. Itâ€™s only a matter of time before one of those guys break free and Iâ€™m guessing itâ€™s not gonna be the turtle
– We had Chinese for dinner last night. And Italian the night before. Todayâ€™s lunch was more traditionally African — rice and beans at the church. I am thankful for spoons
– I have yet to see a gecko
And, how about a few images?